Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Wordplay

The second floor bathrooms of my office in San Jose has a few stalls. I usually use the first one one approaches, next to the urinals. It's not official but in my mind it's my rightful toilet, a scatological birthright. The chamber is not just a porcelain centerpiece though. No, it even has a stainless steel rail to the right, when seated upon the centerpiece, to aid in rising, I assume, from a s[h]itting position. On this rail, almost always, is left a portion of the newspaper, neatly folded to reveal the comics and games section.

Now I'm a speed defecator (did I just say that?). I don't indulge on the toilet by reading a magazine, reading a book, or, like some, writing a book (or at least about the temporal equivalent thereof). Just today though, I decided to glance at the comics and games section. There's a game that involves finding as may subwords as possible from a main word. Each letter can be used only once and words must be four or more letters in length. For example, the word "section" could contain "sect", "scion", "stone", "tine", "tines", "tons", "scone", "ties", "tics", "tins", and so and so forth. The challenge is to get as many subwords as possible within 30 minutes. The creators of the puzzle tells you how many subwords can be found and you go to it.

It may have been destiny or it might have been a sign from Uranus but I think today's word was special, even fated (date, daft, deaf, feat, fade, fate). Perhaps you want to try the game too? Find 24 subwords, within the main word, within 30 minutes.

Are you ready?

The main word is: Erupted.

My list is below. I'm pretty sure I got all 24 in around 15 minutes. Corrections appreciated.






























In the order that I thought of them:
Erupt
Reed
Rude
Rupee
Peet
Prude
Pret
Peed
Peer
Pert
Teed
True
Deer
Deep
Rued
Turd
Tree
Duped
Dupe
Treed
Pure
Peru
Puree
Pureed

No comments: