Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't bake very much. This is probably due to several reasons. Baking often leads to desserts and I frankly don't have much contact with desserts. They're often very sweet and I don't like sweet things all that much. Yes, yes, I'm a freak because I'm allergic to apples and don't like fruits (nature's candies my butt!) but I'm trying to amend my misguided ways.

Steingarten once noted that since a perfectly satisfactory recipe for perfectly satisfactory chocolate chip cookies can be found right on the back of a bag of Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chips, there should be no excuse for a sub-par chocolate chip cookie anywhere in the country. I would like to agree were my lack of baking experience not in the way. Time to fix that!

It's actually quite easy to bake chocoalte chip cookies. Mix some butter, vanilla, and add in flour, salt, baking soda, white and brown sugar, eggs, and some chocolate chips. Bake for a while. Voila! Of course, I didn't have a mixer to slowly blend the dry powdered stuff into the wet oily stuff until it was smooth. Hmmm, what about my hands? Well:

They actually look like chocolate chip cookies! Not that you can tell from the picture whether they're any good. Truth be told, without a mixer the liquid didn't bind with the solid all that smoothly despite my manual efforts. So when the cookies finished baking, they were OK cookies but not soft chewy melt-in-your-mouth chocolate chip cookies. I may not love desserts (yet) but I still have my fickle preferences. I want chewy cookies dammit!

Perhaps I need one of those beautiful Kitchen Aid Artisan mixers. Ooooh come to daddy. I MUST have one!

That I drool about the mixer more than I do about any potential baked goods made with the help of the mixer is inevitable. At least for now. Maybe if I baked more...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

omg i drool about those mixers too. i know exactly what you're saying.