Monday, August 01, 2005

Disembodiment

I am not, as they say, a "morning person." My sleeping patterns vary quite a bit from month to month, week to week, and sometimes even day to day. Even during my most "normal" days, I don't relish the thought of getting up before 8AM. I'm lucky to have a job that doesn't require that I get up early at all (10AM is a perfectly fine start to a work day) but sometimes I'm a little sleep deprived even at 10AM.

So it was today. A monday.

I never get the Monday blues or even particularly mind Mondays but this morning had all the makings of a sitcom about a bleary eyed worker:
1) Conference with and presentation to a customer at 10AM (so earrrrly!) .
2) Got up too late at 9:35AM.
3) No time to shower, do my hair, wash my teeth, brush my face, or even to put on my contacts. Physical appearance -50.
4) Last minute technical setup needed to be attended to before the meeting. Curses all around.
5) Computer phone doesn't work so well at the start of the meeting. Fumble for cell phone connection for 5 minutes. Lose a turn.

The gods were kind to me though: the presentation went off very well and the customers were very pleased. Even threw in a few token corporate jokes ("I'm glad you like the work I've been doing. My manager couldn't care less though. He's scuba diving in Hawaii! Hahahaha, oh yes, I'm so charming aren't I. Yes. Give us your money!"). At the end of the presentation, just about everything felt normal again. The day had started well with no disorientation, no disasters, and the state of my hygiene could easily be rectified at lunch. And best of all, the customers didn't mind that I did the presentation in my underwear.

Boxer briefs, if you must know.

No comments: