Monday, August 22, 2005

I Can't Find the "Any" key!

I'm not a full on gearhead or a tech wiz by any stretch of the imagination but I have done, and am still doing, my time with computers and gizmos. I read gizmodo.com on most days, tinker with all my gadgets, and code. The only thing keeping me from being a card carrying member of the WTO (T for Tech) is real passionate lust. That, probably, and denial.

I do have a bachelor's degree in computer science, though my knowledge of and ability in it might suggest to the hypothetical you otherwise. But since most people - family, relatives, and freinds included - don't separate coding from setting up Windows XP to use those new fangled wireless thingamahobbits, my bachelor's is in essence a "Free Tech Support" badge.

I don't usually mind helping friends and family. I rather enjoy it when I can help somebody solve a problem. I'm not going to be a medical doctor, a profession that I really respect, so I might as well be a part-time computer doctor. But sometimes the frequency of problems gets ridiculous. I think that computers accumulate problem points (PP. Say it out loud!) as they are used. When somebody likes me gets near these computers, all the problems come out at once. That way somebody can fix them. No use throwing a fit normally when there's nobody around, right? It's just a matter of being efficient at PP reduction.

No comments: